Monday, July 11, 2016

Caring for the Weary Mind, Part 3

This post is part of an accidental series on taking intentional care of our minds.  Click here for Part 1 and here for Part 2.

I didn't really intend for this to become a series, but it seems to be a theme, and I think it's worth mentioning.  I have got to take care of my mind - for my own health, for the health of my family, and to be a good steward of the mind that God has given me.

Just as I drank fluids to heal from the stomach flu or refrained from lifting anything too heavy after giving birth, my mind must be cared for to return to a state of health.

One major way I care for my mind is to avoid unhealthy stress.  I do preventative work by not overcommitting and not becoming too busy.  Or, more accurately, I should do that preventative work.


June was busy, and July is, too.

    mom doing it all - busy!
  • Family (on both sides) visiting from out-of-state - lots of together time and activity
  • Swim lessons for the boys
  • Time with friends
  • Surprise birthday party
  • Wedding shower
  • Baby shower
  • Anniversary date
  • School room cleaning and organization
  • Concerts
  • Homeschool meetings
  • Teaching Sunday School to 3-year-olds
  • MAYBE starting half-marathon training (hahahaha)
  • Logging my food choices (deleting that app off my phone was not a good idea)
  • Spending time at a summer festival

These are all good - even great - things.  But I'm tired.  My inclination is to withdraw, but not in a way that is unhealthy.  No, I want to withdraw from being busy.  I want to carve out two days in a row where we have nothing planned but spending time at home together with our little family.  I want to reset our lives back to a healthy amount of activity.  We are not there now, and it shows in our exhaustion and my increased stress level which can lead to a higher risk of relapse.

How have you found a good balance of activity and rest?  What are some things that you do to keep that balance?