Sunday, April 17, 2016

Joy

Isn't it nice when we can enjoy life despite struggling with mental illness?  As I've mentioned in previous posts, there are specific things I do to help combat my OCD, anxiety, and depression.  This afternoon, our family hiked and picnicked at a local nature preserve which hit several of my coping techniques.


I spent time outside in the sun.
I feel SO MUCH BETTER when I get regular time outside, especially if the sun is shining.  Since it was such a mild winter, I was still able to get outside almost every day, but I can't be the only one who's excited that it's finally sunny and in the 70's.  I even got some color (red is a color, right?!).  :)



Nature preserve picture taken by a three-year-old




I spent time with the people I love.  
I love spending time with my little family.  We have a bucket list (similar to this one) that I found at a craft sale involving a picture frame, dry erase marker, and different bucket list inserts.  This gives us plenty of family activity ideas, which is great.  Today we crossed off "Have a Picnic Lunch" and "Go Hiking."
boys looking at fish and water at nature preserve

When the kids started to get antsy about the long walk, we allowed them to take pictures of the cool things we were seeing which worked surprisingly well (see first picture in post).

All in all I was very impressed with how they did.  The boys did get tired toward the end, though, and my awesome husband ended up carrying both of them, which they loved.

Dad carrying boys when tired at nature preserve


I spent time being active.
I do something active every day.  This hike definitely qualified as active, especially since I wore the baby in the Moby Wrap.

The trail we chose was fairly long, but we didn't fully complete it due to making a wrong turn and hiking through some water and mud.  Later my husband told me that all he could think about was that there were probably snakes close by, and I am SO GLAD that my mind hadn't gone there!

We saw ducks and geese, listened to birds, saw fish jumping in the water, and even waved to a train conductor as he passed us on the tracks at the edge of the preserve.

Mom walking with kids at sunny nature preserve


It was so nice to finally be able to get outside and do something fun, local, and free as a family.  I thoroughly enjoyed it!  I'm hoping to make Sunday family days a habit - just like the one we had today.